MX23RW : Thursday, July 25 11:07:02| >> :120:71442:71442:
[monks data]
Morecambe
League One | Gameweek 29
Jan 22, 2022 at 3pm UK
Globe Arena
Wycombe Wanderers

Morecambe
3 - 2
Wycombe

O'Connor (39'), Ayunga (60'), Stockton (67')
Leigh (53'), Ayunga (86')
FT(HT: 1-1)
Akinfenwa (2'), Grimmer (54')
Tafazolli (58'), Jacobson (84')

Preview: Morecambe vs. Wycombe Wanderers - prediction, team news, lineups

Sports Mole previews Saturday's League One clash between Morecambe and Wycombe Wanderers, including predictions, team news and possible lineups.

Wycombe Wanderers will look to keep their place at the top of the League One table on Saturday, when they travel to take on Morecambe.

Back-to-back wins have seen Gareth Ainsworth's side climb to the summit of the English third tier, while their hosts sit in the drop zone after a tough first half to the campaign.


Match preview

Wycombe Wanderers manager Gareth Ainsworth pictured on September 21, 2021© Reuters

After winning promotion last term, Morecambe have tended to struggle for form in League One this season, and they find themselves in a battle for survival.

However, Stephen Robinson's side look to have shown improvement since the turn of the year, firstly recording a crucial 4-3 league victory over fellow strugglers Doncaster Rovers, with Cole Stockton scoring a brace and Jonathan Obika and Toumani Diagouraga netting goals in the final 10 minutes to turn the game on its head and leave with all three points.

The Shrimps then travelled to Tottenham Hotspur in FA Cup action, and they led for the majority of the game through Anthony O'Connor before the 2019 Champions League finalists had to call on their stars with Harry Winks, Lucas Moura and Harry Kane sealing a 3-1 win for the hosts in the final 15 minutes.

After that valiant effort, Robinson's men earned a point in a goalless stalemate with relegation rivals AFC Wimbledon, before narrowly losing 2-1 at home to second-placed Wigan Athletic on Tuesday after Stockton had put them ahead.

While they have been more impressive since the turn of the year, the Shrimps still sit 21st in England's third tier, and, with four sides dropping to League Two, they remain three points adrift of safety with the need to post a run of results to boost their claim for survival this season.

Morecambe's Anthony O'Connor celebrates scoring their first goal with teammates on January 9, 2022© Reuters

Wycombe arrive looking for a victory for a different reason, as they aim to keep their place at the top of the table.

Gareth Ainsworth's side came down from the Championship last season with the aim of earning an immediate promotion, and they have established themselves in the top six throughout the campaign.

Having now won three of their last four league outings, the Chairboys have climbed to the top of the division, albeit with Wigan sitting just a point behind with four games in hand.

Ainsworth's side made it back-to-back 2-0 wins in a tough clash against seventh-placed Oxford United last time out, as Curtis Thompson and Brandon Hanlan netted goals either side of the interval to secure Wycombe's 15th three-point haul of the campaign.

They will now look for a third straight victory to further bolster their bid for a return to the Championship at the first time of asking.

Morecambe League One form:
  • L
  • D
  • L
  • W
  • D
  • L

Morecambe form (all competitions):
  • D
  • L
  • W
  • L
  • D
  • L

Wycombe Wanderers League One form:
  • D
  • L
  • W
  • D
  • W
  • W



Team News

Wycombe's Brandon Hanlan celebrates scoring their first goal with teammates on December 7, 2021© Reuters

Morecambe's line will be led by star man Cole Stockton, who has excelled in League One so far this season, netting 15 goals in 23 league appearances.

Elsewhere, Robinson should again deploy a back four of Ryan McLaughlin, Anthony O'Connor, Jacob Bedeau and Greg Leigh, with experienced holding midfielder Toumani Diagouraga providing additional protection.

Ainsworth has tended to make minimal changes to his Wycombe side this season, and, after consecutive 2-0 wins, they should again field a similar starting XI.

The back three of Anthony Stewart, Ryan Tafazolli and Joe Jacobsen will remain unchanged after those clean sheets, with Curtis Thompson and Josh Scowen again expected to handle business in the engine room.

Brandon Hanlan will lead a front three with a degree of renewed confidence, having hit two goals and provided an assist in the last two games, with Garath McCleary, Anis Mehmeti and Sam Vokes all battling for starting spots.

Morecambe possible starting lineup:
Carson; McLaughlin, O'Connor, Bedeau, Leigh; McLoughlin, Diagouraga, Wildig; Ayunga, Stockton, Gnahoua

Wycombe Wanderers possible starting lineup:
Stockdale; Stewart, Tafazolli, Jacobsen; Grimmer, Thompson, Scowen, Obita; McCleary; Hanlan, Vokes


SM words green background

We say: Morecambe 0-1 Wycombe Wanderers

While Morecambe have been more resilient in recent outings, Wycombe seem to have kicked into gear in their bid for promotion, and we expect them to get the job done on Saturday.

Ainsworth's men have excelled in grinding out wins from tough clashes, and we see that happening this weekend against a Shrimps side full of fight.



Top tip

Our expert tipster partners at Sporita.com are predicting over 2.5 goals in this match. Click here to find out what else they are predicting for this game and for more of their tried-and-tested football tips.Over 2.5:data



ID:475871:1false2false3false:QQ:: from db desktop :LenBod:collect10383:

Data Analysis

Our analysis of all available data, including recent performances and player stats up until an hour before kickoff, suggested the most likely outcome of this match was a Wycombe Wanderers win with a probability of 47.73%. A win for Morecambe had a probability of 26.67% and a draw had a probability of 25.6%.

The most likely scoreline for a Wycombe Wanderers win was 0-1 with a probability of 11.33%. The next most likely scorelines for that outcome were 1-2 (9.29%) and 0-2 (8.66%). The likeliest Morecambe win was 1-0 (7.97%), while for a drawn scoreline it was 1-1 (12.17%). The actual scoreline of 3-2 was predicted with a 1.8% likelihood.


Previews by email

Click here to get Sports Mole's daily email of previews and predictions for every major game!


Game History

How you voted: Morecambe vs Wycombe

Morecambe
40.0%
Draw
0.0%
Wycombe Wanderers
60.0%
5
Collect / Create New Data
Share this article now:
Frankie McAvoy in charge of Preston North End in April 2021
Read Next:
Frankie McAvoy says Preston 'stood up to be counted' in cup win over Morecambe
>
Sports Mole Logo
Enter your email address to subscribe to Sports Mole's free match previews newsletter! Updates are sent twice a week.
rhs 2.0
Today's games header
Tables header RHS
TeamPWDLFAGDPTS
1Accrington StanleyAccrington00000000
2AFC Wimbledon00000000
3BarrowBarrow00000000
4Bradford CityBradford00000000
5Bromley00000000
6Carlisle UnitedCarlisle00000000
7Cheltenham TownCheltenham00000000
8Chesterfield00000000
9Colchester UnitedColchester00000000
10Crewe AlexandraCrewe00000000
11Doncaster RoversDoncaster00000000
12Fleetwood TownFleetwood00000000
13Gillingham00000000
14Grimsby Town00000000
15Harrogate TownHarrogate00000000
16MK Dons00000000
17Morecambe00000000
18Newport CountyNewport00000000
19Notts County00000000
20Port Vale00000000
21Salford City00000000
22Swindon TownSwindon00000000
23Tranmere RoversTranmere00000000
24Walsall00000000


Sports Mole provides in-depth previews and predictions for every match from the biggest leagues and competitions in world football.
Argentina's Lionel Messi kisses the World Cup trophy after collecting the Golden Ball award on December 18, 2022Sign up for our FREE daily preview newsletter direct to your inbox!