MX23RW : Saturday, July 20 14:53:35| >> :120:76719:76719:
[monks data]
PSV
Eredivisie | Gameweek 23
Mar 6, 2022 at 11.15am UK
Philips Stadium
Heracles Almelo

PSV
3 - 1
Heracles

Veerman (20'), Zahavi (55'), Gakpo (71')
Max (86')
FT(HT: 1-0)
Armenteros (69')
Ouahim (75')

Preview: PSV Eindhoven vs. Heracles - prediction, team news, lineups

Sports Mole previews Sunday's Eredivisie clash between PSV Eindhoven and Heracles, including predictions, team news and possible lineups.

Now just two points off the summit of the Eredivisie table, PSV Eindhoven will look to extend their winning run when they host Heracles on Sunday.

Roger Schmidt's side have now won their last three league outings, while their visitors have earned two crucial victories of their own recently.


Match preview

PSV Eindhoven's Carlos Vinicius celebrates scoring their first goal on November 25, 2021© Reuters

PSV Eindhoven enjoyed an eye-catching first half to the Eredivisie campaign, jostling with defending champions Ajax for top spot as they earned 45 points from their opening 19 games.

Their title hopes took a major hit early in the new year, though, as they first fell to a 2-1 defeat in a crucial meeting with the Amsterdam side before losing to AZ Alkmaar by the same scoreline in the following outing.

Roger Schmidt's men have since bounced back in impressive fashion, progressing in the KNVB-Beker and the UEFA Europa Conference League with victories and winning three straight Eredivisie matches, firstly defeating Vitesse and Heerenveen.

Most recently, the Boeren picked up a hard-fought 2-1 away win over Sparta Rotterdam, as Mauro Junior and Ritsu Doan netted goals to overturn a first-half deficit, before progressing to the final of the domestic cup with a victory over Go Ahead Eagles by the same scoreline.

As a result of their impressive rebound, and a surprise defeat for Ajax last time out, Schmidt's side have now climbed back within two points of the top spot, and they will be desperate to add another notch to their wins column to further boost their title claim this season.

PSV Eindhoven's Yorbe Vertessen celebrates scoring their first goal with teammates on February 24, 2022© Reuters

They welcome a Heracles side with renewed confidence, as the visitors have won two of their last three league games.

With just 20 points from their opening 21 games, the Heraclieden sat in an unenviable position in the battle for survival, but they have vastly improved their standing in recent weeks, firstly beating Utrecht 1-0 thanks to Kaj Sierhuis's late goal.

After a narrow defeat to AZ Alkmaar, Frank Wormuth's side bounced back instantly last time out, as Luca de la Torre and Sinan Bakis got on the scoresheet in a 2-0 home win over basement side PEC Zwolle.

Thanks to their impressive turnaround, the Heraclieden have now climbed to 11th spot with a seven-point lead over the bottom three, and, knowing their work is not yet done, they will hope to add another victory to further increase their cushion and continue to rise up the table.

PSV Eindhoven Eredivisie form:
  • W
  • L
  • L
  • W
  • W
  • W

PSV Eindhoven form (all competitions):
  • W
  • W
  • W
  • D
  • W
  • W

Heracles Eredivisie form:
  • D
  • D
  • L
  • W
  • L
  • W



Team News

PSV Eindhoven's Cody Gakpo celebrates scoring their first goal with teammates on February 17, 2022© Reuters

PSV Eindhoven are without Andre Ramalho and Maximiliano Romero due to injuries, while midfielder Marco van Ginkel is also unlikely to make the cut after an issue of his own.

Schmidt will not deviate too far from the side he has fielded for the recent victories, with Mario Gotze and Eran Zahavi playing key roles in the attack.

They will be flanked by the exciting duo of Cody Gakpo and Ritsu Doan, with the former particularly shining this campaign, registering seven goals and 12 assists in 18 Eredivisie appearances.

Heracles, meanwhile, have an unenviable injury list to deal with, as Kaj Sierhuis, Ismail Azzaoui, Elias Oubella and Melih Ibrahimoglu are all set to be ruled out.

Rai Vloet will also continue to miss out due to a suspension, and Wormuth may be tempted to deploy the same starting XI that picked up a 2-0 victory last time out.

Sinan Bakis will lead the line with renewed confidence after netting his third league goal of the season in that game.

PSV Eindhoven possible starting lineup:
Drommel; Teze, Boscagli, Obispo, Junior; Gutierrez, Sangare; Doan, Gotze, Gakpo; Zahavi

Heracles possible starting lineup:
Blaswich; Fadiga, Rente, Knoester, Quagliata; Kiomourtzoglou, De La Torre; Laursen, Ouahim, Basacikoglu; Bakis


SM words green background

We say: PSV Eindhoven 2-0 Heracles

Heracles have certainly looked vastly improved recently, but we see Sunday being a step too far.

The hosts have bounced back impressively from their recent setback, and, with their sights set on top spot, they should have enough to earn another three-point haul.



Top tip

Our expert tipster partners at Sporita.com are predicting under 3.5 goals in this match. Click here to find out what else they are predicting for this game and for more of their tried-and-tested football tips.Under 3.5:data



ID:479850:1false2false3false:QQ:: from db desktop :LenBod:collect9739:

Data Analysis

Our analysis of all available data, including recent performances and player stats up until an hour before kickoff, suggested the most likely outcome of this match was a PSV Eindhoven win with a probability of 89.44%. A draw had a probability of 7.8% and a win for Heracles had a probability of 2.76%.

The most likely scoreline for a PSV Eindhoven win was 3-0 with a probability of 13.88%. The next most likely scorelines for that outcome were 2-0 (12.8%) and 4-0 (11.29%). The likeliest drawn scoreline was 1-1 (3.7%), while for a Heracles win it was 0-1 (1.14%). The actual scoreline of 3-1 was predicted with a 6.5% likelihood. Our team at Sports Mole and our data analysis both correctly predicted that PSV Eindhoven would win this match.


Previews by email

Click here to get Sports Mole's daily email of previews and predictions for every major game!


Game History

How you voted: PSV vs Heracles

PSV Eindhoven
77.8%
Draw
11.1%
Heracles
11.1%
18
Collect / Create New Data
Share this article now:
Sporting Lisbon's Joao Palhinha looks dejected after Manchester City's Bernardo Silva scores their fourth goal on February 15, 2022
Read Next:
Man United 'learn Joao Palhinha price amid transfer speculation'
>
Sports Mole Logo
Enter your email address to subscribe to Sports Mole's free match previews newsletter! Updates are sent twice a week.
rhs 2.0
Today's games header
Tables header RHS
TeamPWDLFAGDPTS
1Ajax00000000
2Almere CityAlmere City00000000
3AZ AlkmaarAZ00000000
4Groningen00000000
5FC Twente00000000
6FC UtrechtUtrecht00000000
7Feyenoord00000000
8Fortuna SittardSittard00000000
9Go Ahead Eagles00000000
10Heracles00000000
11NAC BredaNAC Breda00000000
12NECNijmegen00000000
13PEC Zwolle00000000
14PSV EindhovenPSV00000000
15RKC WaalwijkRKC Waalwijk00000000
16Heerenveen00000000
17Sparta RotterdamSparta00000000
18Willem II00000000


Sports Mole provides in-depth previews and predictions for every match from the biggest leagues and competitions in world football.
Argentina's Lionel Messi kisses the World Cup trophy after collecting the Golden Ball award on December 18, 2022Sign up for our FREE daily preview newsletter direct to your inbox!