MX23RW : Friday, May 24 16:34:53| >> :120:39392:39392:
[monks data]
Salernitana
Serie A | Gameweek 20
May 5, 2022 at 5pm UK
Stadio Arechi
Venezia

Salernitana
2 - 1
Venezia

Bonazzoli (7' pen.), Verdi (67')
Ederson (54'), Bohinen (77')
FT(HT: 1-0)
Henry (58')
Ceccaroni (5'), Mateju (52'), Svoboda (61'), Busio (69'), Ampadu (89'), Henry (90+3')
Ampadu (89')

Preview: Salernitana vs. Venezia - prediction, team news, lineups

Sports Mole previews Thursday's Serie A clash between Salernitana and Venezia, including predictions, team news and possible lineups.

Since this article was published, this game has been called off due to a coronavirus outbreak in the Salernitana squad. A new date for the game will be confirmed in due course.

Seeking to end a run of five consecutive defeats in all competitions, Salernitana return to Serie A action against Venezia on Thursday night.

The hosts find themselves dead last in the table ahead of the resumption of league football, while Paolo Zanetti's side occupy 16th spot in the rankings.


Match preview

Salernitana players line up before their match against Roma on August 29, 2021© Reuters

A swift demotion back down to Serie B appears to be on the cards for Salernitana, who must enact quite the turnaround in 2022 - however unlikely that may be - to salvage their top-flight status for another season.

Stefano Colantuono's men could not have been handed a more difficult end to the calendar year as they were forced to pit their wits against reigning champions Inter Milan, who eased to a 5-0 win thanks to five different goalscorers at Stadio Arechi.

Having been taught a footballing lesson by the Nerazzurri in their final game of 2021, Salernitana begin 2022 in 20th spot in the table as the only side in Serie A yet to hit double figures this term, taking just eight points from 54 on offer so far.

Colantuono's side also bowed out of the Coppa Italia to fellow top-flight strugglers Genoa in December and have lost their last five in all tournaments without scoring a single goal, including each of their last four in the top flight.

Tallies of 11 goals scored and 42 conceded unsurprisingly represent the worst records in the Serie A season so far, and home is not where the heart is for Salernitana, who are aiming to avoid a sixth consecutive loss at their headquarters this week.

Venezia coach Paolo Zanetti on September 22, 2021© Reuters

Fellow newly-promoted outfit Venezia are at risk of sharing the same fate as their seemingly doomed opponents, but this week's visitors to the Stadio Arechi boast a healthy lead over the relegation-threatened pack after a relatively solid first half of the campaign.

Zanetti's side managed to get to half time against Lazio with the score at 1-1 after Francesco Forte had cancelled out Pedro's early opener, but the Biancocelesti ultimately ran out 3-1 winners on December 22 thanks to Francesco Acerbi and Luis Alberto's finishes.

Defeat to Maurizio Sarri's men ended a three-game unbeaten run for Venezia in all tournaments, and Zanetti's men are still flirting with danger as they lie 16th in the rankings, but a six-point gap separates them from the bottom three at the time of writing.

A tally of six league goals away from home all season will not inspire confidence within the Leoni Alati ranks, but they have found the back of the net in each of their last five Serie A games and will fancy their chances against their shot-shy hosts.

However, one of Salernitana's two wins so far this season was a 2-1 success on Venezia's turf back in October, which represented the hosts' third consecutive win over I Leoni Alati by that scoreline following their pair of triumphs in the 2020-21 Serie B campaign.

Salernitana Serie A form:
  • L
  • D
  • L
  • L
  • L
  • L

Salernitana form (all competitions):
  • D
  • L
  • L
  • L
  • L
  • L

Venezia Serie A form:
  • L
  • L
  • L
  • D
  • D
  • L

Venezia form (all competitions):
  • L
  • L
  • D
  • W
  • D
  • L



Team News

Salernitana only have one Africa Cup of Nations representative unavailable to them for this game, with Lassana Coulibaly earning a call-up to the Mali squad.

Wajdi Kechrida was due to represent Tunisia but has tested positive for COVID-19, and the hosts also have three injury concerns in the shape of Leonardo Capezzi, Stefan Strandberg and Matteo Ruggeri.

Andrea Schiavone is the most likely candidate to cover for Coulibaly in the middle, as Simy and Franck Ribery resume their partnership in the final third.

As for Venezia, midfielder Tanner Tessmann and defender Mattia Caldara will both miss out due to suspension, while Tyronne Ebuehi is representing Nigeria at AFCON.

Zanetti will therefore be forced into a couple of alterations in the backline, as Michael Svoboda and Ridgeciano Haps prepare to return to the starting lineup.

The visiting manager can otherwise keep changes to a minimum given their positive injury situation, with Forte potentially doing enough to keep David Okereke out of the XI.

Salernitana possible starting lineup:
Fiorillo; Gyomber, Gagliolo, Bogdan; Delli Carri, Schiavone, Obi, Kastanos, Ranieri; Ribery, Simy

Venezia possible starting lineup:
Romero; Mazzocchi, Svoboda, Ceccaroni, Haps; Ampadu, Vacca, Crnigoj; Aramu, Kiyine; Forte


SM words green background

We say: Salernitana 1-1 Venezia

Salernitana's record against Venezia in recent years makes for positive reading, but goals have been at a premium for the league's basement side and will likely be in short supply again once more.

While we do expect the hosts to finally end their long wait for a goal, Venezia have been a tough nut to crack away from home and will expect to earn at least a point on Thursday, if not all three.



Top tip

Our expert tipster partners at Sporita.com are predicting under 3.5 goals in this match. Click here to find out what else they are predicting for this game and for more of their tried-and-tested football tips.Under 3.5:data



ID:474417:1false2false3false:QQ:: from db desktop :LenBod:collect10899:

Data Analysis

Our analysis of all available data, including recent performances and player stats up until an hour before kickoff, suggested the most likely outcome of this match was a Salernitana win with a probability of 47.91%. A draw had a probability of 26.3% and a win for Venezia had a probability of 25.8%.

The most likely scoreline for a Salernitana win was 1-0 with a probability of 12.4%. The next most likely scorelines for that outcome were 2-1 (9.13%) and 2-0 (9.11%). The likeliest drawn scoreline was 1-1 (12.44%), while for a Venezia win it was 0-1 (8.47%). The actual scoreline of 2-1 was predicted with a 9.1% likelihood. Our data analysis correctly predicted that Salernitana would win this match.


Previews by email

Click here to get Sports Mole's daily email of previews and predictions for every major game!


Game History

How you voted: Salernitana vs Venezia

Salernitana
72.2%
Draw
17.7%
Venezia
10.1%
158
Collect / Create New Data
Share this article now:
Lazio midfielder Sergej Milinkovic-Savic celebrates scoring against Inter Milan in February 2020
Read Next:
Milinkovic-Savic plays down Man United rumours
>
Sports Mole Logo
Enter your email address to subscribe to Sports Mole's free match previews newsletter! Updates are sent twice a week.
rhs 2.0
Today's games header
Tables header RHS
TeamPWDLFAGDPTS
CInter Milan37296287206793
2AC Milan37228773462774
3Bologna371814554302468
4Juventus371814552312168
5Atalanta BCAtalanta362061067392866
6Roma371891064442063
7Lazio371861348381060
8Fiorentina371691258441457
9Torino371314103633353
10Napoli371313115548752
11Genoa371113134345-246
12Monza371112143949-1045
13Hellas VeronaHellas Verona37910183649-1337
14Lecce37813163254-2237
15CagliariCagliari38812184268-2636
16FrosinoneFrosinone37811184468-2435
17Udinese37519133653-1734
18Empoli3789202753-2633
RSassuoloSassuolo3778224274-3229
RSalernitana37210252978-4916


Sports Mole provides in-depth previews and predictions for every match from the biggest leagues and competitions in world football.
Argentina's Lionel Messi kisses the World Cup trophy after collecting the Golden Ball award on December 18, 2022Sign up for our FREE daily preview newsletter direct to your inbox!